Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thar She Blows....

Once upon a 8 p.m. dreary, while we sat on our couch weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While we nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a splashing, As of some one gently splashing, splashing at our sliding door. `'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `splashing at our sliding door - Only this, and nothing more.'

Alas it was not a visitor splashing at our sliding door but a fire hydrant that was....well, no more. Mario Andretti from Alameda Toyota was dropping off a customer at the apartment complex next door and then did his best impersonation of a wrecking ball and backed up over the fire hydrant sending water gushing over 60 feet in the air.


It was quite the spectacle, I took pictures but my camera's batteries were so low they didn't come out very well. So this torrent of water is going down the street and Laura's car is parked on said street and as the water begins to rise, I'm worried it's going to start seeping into through her car doors, so I head out in sandals to traverse the babbling brook that has formed out front and all Laura is worried about is losing her prime parking spot. After a little debating, we decide to chance it and move her car anyway.


Nothing brings out the neighbors like a little drama and lights and sirens. It was a regular beach blanket babylon down by the gushing hydrant, I met people who lived in the building for years and never spoke to till last night. We're thinking of making it a regular Friday event, but the logistics of knocking over the hydrant every week seem like way too much work, I'll think I'll just return to the head nod as I pass my neighbors in the parking lot. Well that was our exciting Friday night, how bout yours?

No comments: